Prev: Re: FT-HET Laers Next: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again

Re: [OT] modelling Q

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:31:59 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] modelling Q

***
IMO, the only advantage of steel washers is that they have iron
in them and are therefore magnetic. This is nice for transporting.
Other than that, pennies are cheaper (rather ironic, eh?).
***

Well, there is a nice variety in diameter on the washers, they ARE
smooth
which can be a help if you're mounting something flat on the bottom, and
some are very thin if you're trying to keep something from looking like
it's on a platform.

That said, the holes in the center can be a problem if you're sculpting
with something that'll push/dribble through.

***
Another nice way to make bases for trees is to use Sculpey. It
is a cheap cookable modelling clay (like Fimo, but way cheaper.)
***

Strangely enough, I see Fimo fairly often in thrift stores mighty cheap;
I've never figured out why. I know most kids LOVE it.

I've never seen Sculpey, even in local art stores. I know many pro fig
sculptors swear by it. Is price the only consideration?

I've done a bit of cut-and-paste ship fig building with styrene; I'm
thinking of trying a little sculpting, and haven't done real well with
either green stuff or Fimo. I suppose talent and patience would help.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: Re: FT-HET Laers Next: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again