Prev: Re: [OT] modelling Q Next: Re: [FT, SG, DS] Weapons/Defense Systems Archive

Re: [OT] modelling Q

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:04:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] modelling Q

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:51:29 -0500, "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
wrote:

>Also seeking suggestion on tree basing. Right now, I'm using circles of
>cardboard about 3" across painted green, but they are kind of thick and
>_not_ bottom weighted. I'm mounting 6" pine trees. I'd ideally like to
get
>something with a bit of weight (lead?) that is about the same dimension
that
>I could then prime and flock easily... any idea if anyone makes such a
>beast?

Ooo! Ooo! Fender washers.

You can pick them up in any hardware store. I use them to mount figures,
as
well. They are just flat steel disks with a hole in the middle. They
come in
different diameters and with different hole diameters.

For figures, I use 1" diameter washers with the smallest inside hole I
can
find. However, I do have a couple of massive washers 3" wide. I use the
largest ones for mounting a Dark Young of Shub Niggurath figure (a Call
of
Cthulhu critter). I use 1 1/2" to 2" diameter (not sure which, off hand)
mount my trees. They work great. Prime them, spray some flat green paint
on
them, glue the trees onto them, then flock. Works great.

I buy them by the box, at about C$8 per box of 100 at Home Depot.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [OT] modelling Q Next: Re: [FT, SG, DS] Weapons/Defense Systems Archive