Prev: Re: [OT] GW Lord of the Rings Next: Re: More things that dodge armour

Re: More things that dodge armour

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:19:38 EST
Subject: Re: More things that dodge armour

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:54:27 -0000 "Nathan"
<Nathan_at_Spring_Grove_UK@email.msn.com> writes:
>Beth Fulton wrote (in reply to FT-HET Laers):
>
>> G'day guys,

<snip>
>Since Greg has raided the GDW arsenal, how about looting that old FGU
>offering, Space Opera? (At least I think it was by them. Never having
>owned
>a copy I'm going on dim and distant memory.)
>
>Yes folks, to add to our list of wacky weapons I can proudly
>contribute the
>Hyperspace Torpedo. I believe the nearest equivalent would be our
>modern-day salvo missile launcher. The launcher itself would need to
>be
>larger
>and more expensive than the conventional system, though the missiles
>would
>only take up the usual magazine space. It would not be possible to
>install
>the
>weapon on a rack basis.

HEX MISSILES!!! Hyperspace EXplosive! An old Starguard standby [Edition
1
- 1974] - (and next to Lasers, the most common weapon!!!)  Actually
expalined in the Space combat rules : Star Wars 2250 A. D. also recently
seen on the Reviresco web site (And downloaded by yours truly pre-FT!

Every ship had at least one.  Well, it always on those pesky Ralnai
scouts anyway.

Except in Starguard it could knock you out of FTL!!  Oh yes, do you drop
your task force out and cover the hit ship (and risk the fight you were
probably avoiding) OR do you leave a 'sinking ship' by itself?	(And how
many ships will the other guy drop out of FTL??)

>Despite the name, the range is not fantastic. An HTL fires a salvo of
>torpedoes
>into hyperspace rather than at the target. Each torpedo is programmed
>emerge from hyperspace as part of a coherant spread intended to place
>one
>or more rounds inside the target's shields and point defences, and
>ideally
>inside the target's hull.
<snip>

>Nathan

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [OT] GW Lord of the Rings Next: Re: More things that dodge armour