Prev: Re: Scales again (froth, gibber!) Next: Re: Scales again (froth, gibber!)

RE:FT-Command & Control

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:10:48 +1100
Subject: RE:FT-Command & Control

bif smith wrote:

>Another idea for flag bridge is that it allows a ship to fire on a
enemy
>ship, using the targeting range from a closer frendly ship (die rolls),
as
>long as it`s within range of the target with it`s own guns in the first
>place (I know that someone suggested this before, but it seams a good
reason
>to have flag bridges).

The ships within a group certainly will pass sensor information amongst
themselves, but how will this increase the effectiveness of their
weapons
fire? A ship firing at a target from just within its extreme weapons
range,
using sensor data handed off to it by a closer ship, will still face the

same problems of attenuation of its weapons fire.

The situation where this ability would help would be in game using
sensors
and electronic warfare, ships able to 'see' a target can pass the
targeting
data on to other ships (who for whatever reason can't 'see' the target)
who
then use this information to generate their own fire control solution.
But
sensors and EW are an optional extra and in the average game of Full
Thrust
every ship on the table has an 'automatic' fire control solution on
every
other ship.

Derek.
Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmainia,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: Scales again (froth, gibber!) Next: Re: Scales again (froth, gibber!)