Prev: RE: SG2 close assault Next: re:SG2 close assault

[SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:07:07 -0500
Subject: [SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!)

Interesting article. I saw an article last year that DARPA was taking
bids
for this.

The article stated: "DARPA spokeswoman Jan Walker said the exoskeleton's
power plant not only must run for at least a 24-hour stretch, it also
must
be light, as must be the material that forms the exoskeleton itself."

I believe the ESU power armor (PA) also stated a 24 hour operational
range.
I also saw an article in Popular Mechanics (?) about the new army Light
Armor Vehicle (LAV). It indicated a speed of 60mph and a range of about
120
miles before refueling. This got me wondering.
1) How far back is the supply train for soldiers and vehicles today?
That is
how far back is it to restock ammunition, fuel (for armor fighting
vehicles
[AFVs]), food, etc.?
2) How is it distributed to the soldiers/vehicles?
3) How much is stored in forward depots (24 hours worth, 200 hours
worth...)?

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net