Prev: Re: [sg] Support Weapon Questions (Somewhat related) Next: Re: Canadians at ECC

RE: [SG2] 2 questions

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:32:41 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] 2 questions

Hi,

This discussion just pop some new questions in my head :

1 - If the defender volontary retreat from close assault, does he loose
CL ?
(I will say yes to put a limiting factor about how many time you could
retreat).

2 - What about an independent figure? does he get a suppression each
time?

What Brian point out indicate that a unit that didn't wish to be in a
close
assault can flee pretty easily (especially sniper). The attacker will
eventually fail his reaction test before reaching the defender,
depending
on how you handle voluntary retreat. The defender may be able to do
range
fire after that, wich is more effecient if it was a low quality unit
than
doing CA...

I've been thinking for a while : What about the defender having to do a
roll each time he has to flee (voluntary or not). This could simulate
the
ability of the defender to outrun the attacker (covering their track,
moving silently, etc). Or maybe an opposed roll between attacker and
defender. There could also be a cumulative modifier after each fleeing
attempt...

What people think about this?

Yves,

>Yes. I have had this "domino excellerator" effect in other games. This
is
>where a unit can move faster against opposition than unopposed. There
is
>just no good way of dealing with it. If you count the number of moves
and
>then "freeze" the unit that long, other units can waltz up and whack
them.

>One way to control this is liberal use of Overwatch house rules (such
as
>those at http://www.stargrunt.com/rules/ovwatch.html). This tends to
>discourage multiple follow-throughs as the units fall prey to overwatch
>fire, and get suprised in the open.
>
>Related:
>Having re-read the rules on Close Assault (CA), I was surprised at when
the
>defenders take the reaction test:
>1) Attackers declare a CA
>2) Attackers make Reaction Test (RT). If fails the CA ends.
>3) Defenders make RT.
>4) Defender retreat if failed RT or voluntary retreat.
>5) Attackers combat move if Defenders stand (do not retreat) or move to
>Defender's initial position if the Defenders retreat.
>6) If Defenders stand and attackers fail to reach defenders, standing
>Defenders get Final Defensive Fire (even is activation was used).
>7) If Attackers had not reached Defender's position, a 2nd combat move
may
>made.
>8) If Attackers reach Defenders, CA combat until 1 unit retreats.
>9) If defender retreats. If desired, repeat 1-6,8-9.
>
>This means that a unit that retreats does not take fire from a CA until
and
>unless the close assaulting unit reaches it. I was also suprised to see
that
>retreating units are not placed under suppression at the end of the CA
if
>they retreat.
>
>---
>Brian Bell