Prev: Canadians at ECC Next: RE: [SG2] 2 questions

RE: [SG2] 2 questions

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:56:00 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] 2 questions

Yes. I have had this "domino excellerator" effect in other games. This
is
where a unit can move faster against opposition than unopposed. There is
just no good way of dealing with it. If you count the number of moves
and
then "freeze" the unit that long, other units can waltz up and whack
them.

One way to control this is liberal use of Overwatch house rules (such as
those at http://www.stargrunt.com/rules/ovwatch.html). This tends to
discourage multiple follow-throughs as the units fall prey to overwatch
fire, and get suprised in the open.

Related:
Having re-read the rules on Close Assault (CA), I was surprised at when
the
defenders take the reaction test:
1) Attackers declare a CA
2) Attackers make Reaction Test (RT). If fails the CA ends.
3) Defenders make RT.
4) Defender retreat if failed RT or voluntary retreat.
5) Attackers combat move if Defenders stand (do not retreat) or move to
Defender's initial position if the Defenders retreat.
6) If Defenders stand and attackers fail to reach defenders, standing
Defenders get Final Defensive Fire (even is activation was used).
7) If Attackers had not reached Defender's position, a 2nd combat move
may
made.
8) If Attackers reach Defenders, CA combat until 1 unit retreats.
9) If defender retreats. If desired, repeat 1-6,8-9.

This means that a unit that retreats does not take fire from a CA until
and
unless the close assaulting unit reaches it. I was also suprised to see
that
retreating units are not placed under suppression at the end of the CA
if
they retreat.

---
Brian Bell