Prev: RE: [SG2][DS2] battalion or regimental level meta-game Next: [FT-FB]Islamic Federation Ship

RE: [SG2][DS2] battalion or regimental level meta-game [LONG]

From: mark.langsdorf@a...
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:03:36 -0600
Subject: RE: [SG2][DS2] battalion or regimental level meta-game [LONG]

> Musing away, I was, about how nice it would be to have
> something to string together games of DS2 and SG2. Then
> a thought came to me... would it be feasible to implement
> a reasonably simple battalion or regimental level metagame
> that would generate scenarios for DS2 and SG2?  SG2 battles
> tend to be fought with anything from 2 squads up to 1 company or
> more, whereas DS2 battles are probably fought anywhere from
> company to battalion sized. That therefore means battalion
> or regimental level might be appropriate for a metagame.
>
> Questions that then raise themselves:
> 1) How should such a game be conducted?
> 2) If it is using a map, what scale is appropriate?
> 3) What time period is appropriate per turn of the meta-game?
> 4) How shall combats be resolved?
> 5) What elements of logistics need to be involved?
> etc. etc.

	I was going to go through your suggestions and offer
advice, but my current thoughts are so different that yours
that it just came to me saying, "No, I don't think that's a
good idea" a lot so I decided not to.  Instead, I'm going to
answer your questions.

	My current thinking on this subject is strongly influenced
by Dream Pod 9's "Lightning Strike" which features a very
abstracted campaign system.  You have a fleet, which can be
divided into one or more elements (such as the assault fleet
and logistics, etc) and each element assigned to a front.
Once on the front, you assign the element a mission (raid,
assault, defend).  Your opponent does the same thing with his
elements,  and you compare the missions and look up on a chart
to find the scenario.  It works okay, though I think it can
be expanded a bit.

	So I think the game (I'm basing this on SG2) should be
conducted by each player having a battalion or so and a home
base, and the goal is to keep your own home base and capture
the other (capture the flag, basically).  In between the two
bases are several dozen areas, each about 5 km across.
	Each turn (day) you group your forces and assign missions
to them.  A group can't be smaller than a platoon (less casualties,
of course!) and each group must be inside a single area, though
multiple groups can be in the same area with different missions.
	The missions are organized into offensive and defensive,
passive and aggressive, and concentrated and dispersed types.
(Passive and aggressive refers to avoiding or seeking contact
with enemy forces, while concentration and dispersion refer to
how close the elements of your group are to each other.  An
assault would an offensive, aggressive, and concentrated
mission, while an infiltration would be offensive, passive,
and dispersed).
	If your opponent has any groups in the same area, your
compare your group's mission with his, and that generates the
scenario.  The scenarios will be weighted based on mission
choices - a concentrated assault works better against dispersed
patrols, while a raid might work better against a concentrated
defense.
	I would mostly resolve combat on the SG2 tabletop - if
there are too many company or battalion level engagements,
shift up a level to DS2.
	As far as logistics go, I guess each mission should have
a "fatigue" rating, and it's up the player to decide when
his units are too tired and pull them back for rest and recovery.
I'd mostly abstract logistics, though I suppose enemy units
should be able to block supply lines

	All this has been bouncing around in my head for a bit,
and only a little has been written down before now.  If anyone
thinks any of this is interesting and wants to help iron out the
details, or wants my help in ironing out their details, please
contact me.

Prev: RE: [SG2][DS2] battalion or regimental level meta-game Next: [FT-FB]Islamic Federation Ship