Prev: Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long) Next: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:43:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:08:32 -0800, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker
<s_schoon@pacbell.net> wrote:

>It's looking like this is the "preferred" method ;-) from the replies
>I've seen thus far.

I'll put in my two cents worth and agree.

In the pre-dreadnought rules I'm (still) working on, I have more complex
running aground and collision rules. But this is with vessels that have
a much
lower speed limit. Also, the maximum speed of the ship is dependent on
the
number of hull rows left, so I was able to come up with an easy
mechanism to
work out collision damage. The upshot is that if the ship is going close
full speed, it will be crippled or sunk outright.

This seemed reasonable for ships in the pre-dreadnought era moving at 18
knots. If you use the semi-official FT game scale, you'll have
horrendous
speeds even for a relatively slow moving ship. I can't see a ship
surviving
even a relatively low speed collision. The comments made about the g
force on
even a partial hit were bang on.

Keep it simple. Hit an asteroid, go boom.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long) Next: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions