Prev: RE: AT-PAK Micro Space Ship Miniatures????? Next: Protector RE: AT-PAK Micro Space Ship Miniatures?????

Re: Dremel..Tom

From: "chubbybob" <bob@r...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:51:52 +0100
Subject: Re: Dremel..Tom

Hi tom..

      I have the 5 speed dremel.. First let me say it is a wonderful
tool
especially for white metal..  however you asked

> I know the 0-5000 adjustable range on the 275 is pretty great for
working
in
> plastics and resins. But just how bad is 5000 rpm for resin or
plastic?
> Enough to justify more than doubling the price? Or should I just buy
the
> variable model 395?

pretty damn bad...?=0) I do lots of work converting the BFG plastic
cruisers
and I drill all the holes by hand.. Part of the problem is not just the
heat
but the fact that the plastic clogs the flutes of the drill and then
destroys the hole via friction and non clearance of the swarf.. even the
slowest speeds on the 5 speed will destroy even the hardest plastic.. I
do
also have a French minidrill that I use with a variable voltage
transformer.
it is better for plastics but you still have the problem of flute
clogging..
however if you try the variable speed control please say how you get on!

	  Bob DeAngelis