Next: Japanese/EU Fig pics

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:54:24 -0500

Hmmm. I think that I know what you mean when dealing with detached
units.

Please excuse bad ASCII art.

Squad:
  --------------Sqd Leader-------------
  |	|    |	  |    |    |	 |    |
 Rfl   Rfl  Rfl  Rfl  Rfl  Rfl	GMS  GMS

Leader Detaches GMS Unit
  ------Sqd Leader----------------
  |	|    |	  |    |	 |
 Rfl   Rfl  Rfl  Rfl  Rfl	 |
			   Detached Unit
			    |	 |    |
			   Rfl	GMS  GMS

The above is how I see the Squad. 2 units. The first one with the leader
and
a second, detached, unit.

I think that you see it a little differently.
Leader Detaches GMS Unit
	    --- Sqd Leader--------
	    |			 |
  --------Main----------    ----Det-----
  |	|    |	  |    |    |	 |    |
 Rfl   Rfl  Rfl  Rfl  Rfl  Rfl	GMS  GMS

I think what you are indicating is that the squad leader of any unit
passes
activation to the unit. But would this not disallow the squad leader
from
moving and firing if the squad is activated (3 actions)? And in the same
way
would it not if there is a detached unit (and therefore the squad leader
spends both actions to activate both units) preclude the leader from
taking
any other action (move, fire, communicate) as he has used both of his
actions? This would severly limit the main unit's actions as it could
not
move (or at least not out of unit integrety range)?

I was reading it as the Squad Leader remains part of the Main unit and
only
transfers activation to the detached unit. This leaves the leader with
only
1 other action (combat, movement, etc.). The rest of the main unit has 2
actions (combat/noncombat or both noncombat). If the leader uses his
other
action as a combat action, then the squad may not move (as it would take
it
out of unit integrety).

I have not stated this very clearly, but I hope that you see what I
mean.

Leader Actions:
noncombat (communicate, move, etc.)
combat
transfer activation
If he must activate both units he has no actions left.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----