Prev: FMASkirmish manuscript Next: Re: FMASkirmish manuscript

Re: New on the list

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 4 Jan 2001 13:28:44 -0800
Subject: Re: New on the list

On Thu, 04 January 2001, "Fent, Lee" wrote:

>     I don't know if this is considered bad form or not, but I'm
> considering picking up Full Thrust, and I thought I'd check and see
what
> books current players recommend a new player to buy

Hi, Lee!

Actually, I think the list is fairly static (compared to some). We don't
often get a LOT of new players. I think most list members are people who
played the game before. That having been said, we're an opinionated --
but surprisingly friendly and mature -- bunch, so we always like to help
out new people when we can.

Full Thrust is going through a bit of a change. The rules are spread out
into several volumes.

First, you need the Full Thrust rulebook. No matter what, buy that.

Second, I would recommend buying Fleet Book Volume 1. Even if you have
no intention of using the "official" fleets, the new rules (vector
movement, new ship design rules, new weapon systems, etc., etc.) are
worth it.

Third, if you like the feel of alien ships, pick up Fleet Book Volume 2.
There are some neat new systems that could be used in any ship you
design on your own. There is also a race, the Sa'vasku, that have ships
that work differently from all the others out there.

Fourth, there is the More Thrust supplement. Personally, depending on
how long it takes you to pick up the other three, you may find that the
next version of the game is out and won't need it. But it's got some
good stuff in there. Most of it, though, has been reproduced or redone
in the fleet books.

So, my advice is pick up Full Thrust, and then pick up the first fleet
book shortly thereafter.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: FMASkirmish manuscript Next: Re: FMASkirmish manuscript