Prev: RE: strike the colors rule Next: IF and needles? Re: Nathan's FB3 comments,

Re: colour striking

From: "Mark 'Indy' Kochte" <kochte@s...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:09:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: colour striking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Tony Francis wrote:

> > <snippage>
> >
> > You really have several levels of morale questions:
> > 1) When do your ships attempt to withdraw from a conflict?
> > 2) When do your ships consider surrender?
> > 3) When do your ships consider scuttling or self-destruction?
>
> Racial characteristics can also come into play - Kra'Vak would never
> surrender, especially to the Hu'Mans, and human forces may prefer to
> fight to the last man rather than risk torture / genetic
experimentation
> / forced breeding programs (although thinking about, the breeding
> program option might be fun ...).

I dunno. I kinda liked Los' take on the Kra'Vak, that the 'losing'
side stopped fighting and basically surrendered (IIRC) when their
flagship was taken out. While that would make for a quick game
(esp if you concentrated on the enemy flag and removed it), it
is a different way to handle surrendering. IIRC (and it's been a
while since I've read the Rot Hafen saga in detail) the Kra'Vak
didn't understand why the humans wouldn't surrender when the
Hoo'Man flagship was extinguished, and eventually just decided
Hoo'Mans were nuts and were to be given no quarter.

I think, though, in the other cases you make above, that yeah,
in those events it may be preferable to fight to the last man.
Thus I think either the scenario or the universe in which you
are playing should really be fleshed out better in order to
implement morale rules or 'no surrender/fight to last' rules
if there is a conflict of perception over it (the rules of
disengagement/surrender, that is).

Prev: RE: strike the colors rule Next: IF and needles? Re: Nathan's FB3 comments,