Prev: Re: A quick question on Brigade Materials (Swarming fighters) Next: RE: [SG2] Questions

Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:46:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

John Crimmins wrote:

>This is a bit odd, though: I've been converting the ships using Jared
>Nobel's Excel spreadsheet -- I enter the data for the ship as it is in
the
>Fleet Book, and then change the weapon mix around.  This has lead >to
a truly obscene Foch Class SDN, which should be really nasty in >play,
but I've run into a problem with the Jeanne D'Arc carrier.  I've
>entered all the data, and the mass is fine, but the point value comes
>out to 892 instead of the 955 given in the book. I need to do the
>calculations by hand, I suppose.

63 points? Sounds as if the spreadsheet only charges 2xMass for fighter
bays rather than 3xMass - IIRC some of the early spreadsheets had this
bug. (FB2 also says that KV and Phalon fighter bays cost 2xMass, which
is completely wrong - all bays cost 3xMass.)

Other explanations could be that you forgot to enter 21 Mass of
equipment or that you used the wrong TMF (TMF 250 instead of 280 should
give about this cost reduction) - but in both cases the spreadsheet
should've indicated that the Mass was too large or too small, so I
don't think these are very likely.

The best ship design spreadsheet I know of at the moment is Dean
Gundberg's, available from http://star_ranger.homestead.com/ . Based on
Jared's, but updated to include FB2 and I haven't found any bugs in the
latest version yet <g>

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: A quick question on Brigade Materials (Swarming fighters) Next: RE: [SG2] Questions