Prev: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs Next: Re: [FT] Terrain

Re: Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 17:30:51 -0800
Subject: Re: Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3

> >> Finally, just to throw a new idea into the FB3 pot, has
> >> anyone considered IF suicide crews in the past
>
> Well, the suicide ship can fire off a rack or a few sub-
> munition packs as well as ramming, whereas SMs
> have to get through whatever defences the target has.
> Would we agree that ramming damage should be
> calculated after weapons fire, so that (a) the ramming
> ship gets a chance to launch these weapons, and (b)
> the target ship gets a chance to shoot down suicide
> ships?

Yes.  But let's say you have an 8 mass stingboat ramming.  Okay, you
can take four mass of weapons in the standard configuration (say 4
submunitions, 12 dice) and then ram with 1 point of hull to do 1 extra
die of damage.	Or you can outfit it with 5 hull and no weapons and do
a total of 5 dice of damage.  Somehow this doesn't seem worth it,
particularly when you're expending 300 million credits each time you
do this.

Now, you could pack the hull with explosives if you like.  That
converts your ram ship into, well, the equivalent of a couple of salvo
missile strikes, except you have to get within 2mu instead of 6mu and
your target can use all its weapons, not just B1 and PDS, to pick you
off on the way in.

Prev: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs Next: Re: [FT] Terrain