Prev: Re: New Wargame Website (chance to be a critic) Next: RE: Noble Armada

RE: [FT] SML-AF Was Re: More weapon...

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:09:17 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] SML-AF Was Re: More weapon...

I will make some humble suggestions (ignore at will).

I would remove the prohibition against fighter secondary movement, but
give the missiles a 12" secondary movement. This would allow the
opposing player to still exercise secondary movement, but the
opponent would have to abandon the attack (burning 2 endurance --
1 for the secondary movement and 1 for being attacked (combat)).
But then why would the fighter group use secondary movement?
If your initial placement placed 2 opponent fighter groups in range of
your AFSM, the opponent could use secondary movement on one
or both of the fighter groups. As long as the movement placed the
fighter groups over 6mu from each other, you would have to decide
which fighter group to attack (and then use the AFSM's secondary
movement to accomplish this.  When you said ALL fighter groups
are attacked, you did mean friend and foe, did you not?

Before anti-missile fire, roll to see how many missiles lock on target
and which fighter group each missile targets if there are multiple
groups. (Example 4 missiles lock on 3 on group A and 1 on group B)
Fighter groups then may conduct anti-missile fire. Each missile
that is locked on and survives anti-missile fire kills 1d6 fighters
(1/2 1d6 round up if vs. Hvy Fighters).

I would also suggest limiting the range of AFSMs to 12mu for the
initial marker placement, but allowing them to fire AFTER initial
fighter
movement. Also initial placement needs to be in the arcs covered
by the launcher and may not be used if the launcher fires a Standard
or ER Salvo.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/
-----

[snip]

> SML Ammunition: Anti-Fighter Salvo
>
> Same MASS and POINT COST as a standard salvo. Simply mark the traded
> salvoes with a dot in the center of the icon. SMRs may also be traded
> on a one for one basis.
>
> Unlike a standard salvo, the AF salvo attacks ALL fighter groups
> within 6" . The fighter groups may not use their secondary movement
> until AFTER the missiles attack. Each fighter group may defend
> against the salvo normally. The attacking player rolls 1d6 for each
> fighter group and subtracts for the defensive fire of the appropriate
> group. The group then takes one PDS shot per "missile" that
> penetrates their defence.
>
> EXAMPLE: A Jerez Class CH has 2 fighter groups closing for an attack.
> Anticipating fighters from before the scenario started, he'd wisely
> traded one SML salvo for an SML-AF salvo. The 2 fighter groups
> unwisely group together in Step 3, and in Step 4 the Jerez launches
> its nasty surprise. Both fighter groups decide to defend against the
> SML-AF, reducing their endurance accordingly. The first group rolls
> (1,2,3,4,5,5) two hits, and the second group rolls (2,3,3,5,6,6)
> three hits. The Jerez rolls a 4 for the first group and a 2 for the
> second. The first group suffers 2 PDS rolls, and the second group is
> unharmed. The Jerez rolls a (2,6,re-roll 5) and kills 3 fighters from
> the group.
>

> Schoon
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:09 2000
From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil>
To: "Gzg-L (E-mail)" <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [sg] Starter Group
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:52:49 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Greetings,

I have looked and not found a suitable response.

If I decide to take the plunge and purchase some SG figures (enough
for 2 sides), what combination of figures should I start with?

Common packs seem to be:
A) Rifle Section (3 figs)
B) Command Section (1 talking, 2 support)
C) Heavy Weapon Section (1 Hvy, 2 support)
D) Sniper Section (3 figs)
E) FO/Recon (3 figs)
F) Power Armor (2 figs)

The GZG Online Catalogue http://www.gtns.net/gzg/ had a starter
pack with rulebook and 2 forces of about 16 figures.

My initial thought was 2 Rifle Sections (A), 1 Command (B),
1 Heavy Weapon (C), and 2 Power Armor (F).

This would give me:
1 Command Team
2 Rifle Teams (4 figs)
1 Hvy Weapon Team (anti-armor or SAW)
1 Power Armor Team (4 figs).

Thoughts and suggestions encouraged.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:09 2000
From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil>
To: "'gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu'" <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: New Wargame Website (chance to be a critic)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:26:18 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

[snip]

> > The destruction of the Mother Alien reduces the morale of every unit
by
> 1
> > step and the unit quality 1 step - if she's that central to command
I'd
> say
> > they'd lose a LOT more than one level of confidence!!! I'd make it a
> fairly
> > hefty penalty if you lose the old bird.
>
> Harsh Beth. I thought my penalty was bad enough :)

[snip]

> ----------------------
> Jeremey Claridge
> jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk
-----End Original Message-----

While I think Beth's comment is true, it would also change the feel of
the
game and make all conflicts with the aliens a "Get the Queen" scenario.
Perhaps introduce an "Alpha Queen" for the planet or space region.
Loosing a "sub-Queen" would cause a 1 level loss in confidence", but
if you get the Alpha Queen, it would drop by 3 (Alpha Queen is almost
NEVER represented on the board, just as you would not represent
the commander of all NAC forces on the board)?

If you give the aliens ECM, you could also give them distance
communications (natural radio emiters?) without telepathy.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members/nbci.com/gzg_l/xeno/
-----

Prev: Re: New Wargame Website (chance to be a critic) Next: RE: Noble Armada