Prev: Re: [FT] FTSR alterations Next: Re: ISO: construction/scratchbuild/modelling tool advice

RE: Miniature search (OT)

From: "Kieran Rohan" <krs@g...>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:55:24 -0800
Subject: RE: Miniature search (OT)

Check our website, I have updated it with pictures of most of the UN
ships
this week.  I forget who painted the models, but I took pictures at the
last
ECC and finally got them suitable for use this last week.

KR, Geo-Hex

From: JDoch226@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:44:52 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] Cerebus Re: No campaign system acceptable for SG2?
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

In a message dated 12/16/00 5:02:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ShldWulf@aol.com writes:

<< Wanna trade idea notes? >>

I've got both Invasion: Earth and Prefect, and have considered them as
sources for planetary invasion mini-campaigns.	Prefect, in particular,
is a
very nice game, but they are both quite complex on their own, and one
thing
I've learned from trying to do this in the past is that the campaign
system
can't be more involved than the miniatures games, or the whole thing
eventually grinds to a halt.  From what I've heard about Cerebus, it
sounds
like it is more on the beer and pretzels side of the scale, which is
what I'm
looking for.  One of the Battletech supplements had a nice little
flowchart
for an operational level invasion campaign (or series of linked games,
really), which would also be usable but was a map-less system and did
not
include fleet actions.	Imperium would generate lots of FT and DS games,

especially with the expanded ground action rules published in an early
issue
of Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society, but Cerebus has the added
advantage of providing SG scenarios also.  The new release of Imperium,
which
should be out sometime soon from Avalanche Games, may have even more
detail.
Are there any other board games that might be good candidates for a
planetary
invasion mini-campaign?
Jed
From - Fri Dec 22 21:59:39 2000
From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
To: "Gzg Digest (E-mail)" <GZG-L@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: ISO: construction/scratchbuild/modelling tool advice
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:44:43 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Hi all

I've plumbed the list beforehand for advice on airbrushes (to be
implemented
this Xmas). And I own a few different Xacto blades and knives and
microfiles
and a large bastard file. I've got epoxy, plastic metal, and
cyanoacrylate.

But now, I want to ask about power tools! Specifically, a rotary tool.

I've been looking at Dremel tools, but the variety is bewildering. I
think,
if I understand correctly, I probably wish to get one of the standard
single-speed tools (basic tool runs at 30K rpm). To this, I must add the
variable speed control pedal which gives you a rheostat-like (I believe)
control of the speed between 0 and full bore. I get the impression from
what
I've read that if you want to work on white metal, if you are drilling
or
cleaning with any sort of a brush you want to be running no faster than
15Krpm. I also get the impression that if you want to work in Resin or
plastic, even slower speeds must be used. Hence the variable speed
control!

I'm sure some of you must use dremel tools or their equivalents with set
and
with variable speed capabilities. How do you find them to work lead,
white
metal and resin models? If you use the one-speed model, do you find you
damage bits due to the high speed or damage the material you are working
on?

Your input appreciated. I'm trying to sort out my Xmas present :) and I
want
to get the tool best suited to modifying, cleaning, assembling, and
maybe
scratchbuilding from various models in white metal and resin and I guess
I'd
better be able to do some cutting of brass tubing and rod. (I have a
Stinger/Post style GEV jeep conversion ready to get underway as soon as
acquire a tool capable of doing some major resin carving).

Tomb

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies.

Voltaire (1694-1778), on his death bed in response to a priest asking
that
he renounce Satan.

Prev: Re: [FT] FTSR alterations Next: Re: ISO: construction/scratchbuild/modelling tool advice