Prev: Re: Bridge Crew Next: Re: [DS2] Handling interface vehicle design

Re: [FT] Salvo Missile (and Fighter) Range

From: Richard Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 10:59:43 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile (and Fighter) Range

Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

> From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu>
> Subject: RE: [FT] Salvo Missile (and Fighter) Range
>
> > > Perhaps it should be:
> > > Course Divergence between salvo and target (in clock
> > > facings; determines Attack Velocity):
> > > 0-2 Subtract target velocity from salvo velocity
> > > 3-4 Use only salvo velocity
> > > 5-6 Add both target and salvo velocities
> >
> > I think this works well. My way might be better for cinematic, since
you
> can
> > determine it just by looking at the figures, but this may do better
for
> > vector.
>
> I've thought of one way to limit Salvo Missiles while still retaining
the
> launching ship's velocity:
>
> Use the old Fletcher Pratt System.
>
> In this case, you don't place markers where the SRs are targetted, you
> place "firing arrows" with written distances on.
>
> Do this before movement, then move the ship, then place the SM.
> Unless someone is *very* good at estimating where ownship will be
relative
> to the opposition, higher speeds/ranges give greater inaccuracy.
>
> Just a thought.

Another possibility for adding ship vectors to missile movement is that
the
missiles are launched from the end of firing ships vector (where it
would end
up if the ship coasted).  This gives a faster ship a longer range, but
also
gives ships a minimum range at which targets cannot be engaged (because
the
missiles do not have time to acquire a lock-on).  This means that an
ill-timed
charge with fast missile boats may result in no firing opportunity
during a
highspeed, close range pass.  However, high thrust ships pursuing a
fleeing
target can still engage with missiles.

Prev: Re: Bridge Crew Next: Re: [DS2] Handling interface vehicle design