Prev: Re: New firearms technology Next: Re: FT: Question that may be really *old*...

Re: Uplift FT (was Re: Am I a Republic revisionist?)

From: Noel Weer <nsweer@i...>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:40:23 -0600
Subject: Re: Uplift FT (was Re: Am I a Republic revisionist?)

Aaron Teske wrote:

> At 07:40 PM 12/5/00 -0800, Laserlight wrote:
>
>> Richard Bell replied:
>>
>>> That is unfair, as there is only one Uplift inspired game that
>>> I know of: the GURPS Uplift supplement.
>>
>> That should tell you something right there.	But in any event, if it
>> inspired rabid loyalty, someone on this list would have done
>> conversions for it (FT, SG2, DS2, whatever the genre was).
>
> I've put a little thoguht into it, but apart from some generalities
(e.g.,
> the Thennanin seem to have heavily armored/hulled ships) it's
difficult to
> fit the Eatee's ships into Full Thrust.  I mean, the Soro ships sound
> fairly generic, but modelling the Tandu probability drives, psi
attacks,
> the different "battlefield dangers" (dangerous probability residues,
psi
> mines, other things that actually put me more in mind of Battlefleet
Gothic
> than Full Thrust) would, as far as I can tell, nearly require a
complete
> rewrite of the game.	So... I haven't done much about it.

<<SNIP>>

>					Aaron

Realistically, Star Wars is a great story backed by strong visual
presentation. The Postman, Uplift, etc. are great books. For pure fun I
take the former, but I have a greater respect for and spend more time on

the latter.

As for an Uplift conversion. Start with the books for flavor but check
out the GURPS Uplift supplement. They are fairly brief, but the base
GURPS rules are there regarding space combat and some of the more exotic

devices Brin provides: Reality Anchors, Probability weapons (nasty,
nasty toys these), antiparticle beams,...

--
The Middle Ages were a great time to be alive,
because if you weren't wiped out by the Plague
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:08:48 -0800
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Aaron said:
> Come to think of it, the one game that was discussed a while back,
where
> you design your race... can't seem to find any of the messages,
thoguh I'd
> thought I'd saved at least one

Recent.  Try October00 archives.

Prev: Re: New firearms technology Next: Re: FT: Question that may be really *old*...