Prev: Zombie Messages Next: Re: Zombie Messages

Re: [FT] Defsats!

From: Richard Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:21:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Defsats!

"Barclay, Tom" wrote:

> In Renegade Legion, they had ortillery satellites that launched THOR
> Javelins (fin stabilized, guided penetrators) that dropped from orbit
and
> (if they hit) pretty much terminated any AFV. They were guided by
fins, had
> no innate propulsion (maybe a magnetic launch like a railgun to get
them
> moving quick) and got the benefits of soaking up energy in a
long-distance
> drop from low-orbit. A tungsten-carbide rod moving at ridiculous
velocities
> tends to be unpleasant for the recipient vehicle...

While terribly effective, the THOR satellites had coverage problems as
they
were in a low orbit (altitude of between 90 and 135 km [RL had a
fondness for
game scales]).	Time on target was four minutes (arrived second turn
after
requested).  THOR hits had a tendency to distinctly impede the efficient
operation of the target but seldom destroyed it.  Grav vehicles are
terribly
expensive, so they are crammed full of internal ballistic protection to
limit
the result of a penetration.
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:17 2000
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:27:11 -0500
From: Richard Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Zombie Messages
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Peter Mancini wrote:

> Actually, I am not sure why this came up now.  I had originally sent
that
> message WEEKS ago.  There must have been something weird about the
SENDMAIL
> account on the machine this list is hosted on and it just got flushed
from
> the cache.
>
> Anyway, after I sent that message I realized that the real solution
was not
> just vector adding but also much better sensor rules.  Right now all
ships
> in the game are visible, 100%.  Adding sensor and target solution
rules will
> balance this out.  Also, missiles should be spoofable just as they are
in
> real life.

You probably want to steal the rules for detection from GDW's "Star
Cruiser",
with each ship having a radiated and reflected signature, and different
grades
of active and passive sensors.

Prev: Zombie Messages Next: Re: Zombie Messages