Prev: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover afteraction report Next: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report

Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:31:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

Scott Case wrote:

>>Is that formula correct? Using it, the average turret height of a AFV
>>would be 5.5m (6378000m earth radius, * 5.5m, sqrt = 5923 close
>>to 60" or 6km).
>>I did not think that AFVs were that tall (that's almost a 2 story
>>building)
>
>5.5m tall? I'm not the most metric guy around (hey, I'm an American),
>but that isn't too far off.

Um, yes it is. At least if more than 100% counts as "too far off" :-/

>My M-1A1 from the old army days was a pretty tall machine (despite
>the low profile it presents).

An M1A1 is under 3 meters tall (2.80 IIRC, but I don't have exact
figures at home :-( ).

>I could stand next to the track and only my head and chest (or
>shoulders- memory kinda fades with age ;) were above the track....
>and I am 6'1" tall... a meter and some change in the metric system.

"Some change" in this case is almost another meter, which explains why
you're a factor 2 off :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com