Prev: [OOP!] Next: Re: [HIST] classical matchups

[SG2] reusable projectile launcher

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:58:54 -0500
Subject: [SG2] reusable projectile launcher

Hi all

Big Kudos for Oerjan for his lengthy exposition on launchers disposable,
not
disposable, light, not-so-light and all in between. Let me try to sum
up.

1) Real weapons are extremely variable.
2) We don't have a real adequate name for this general class of
RR/SMAW/whatever.
3) Warheads of equal size and equal generation and equal purpose can be
equivalent in disposable and non-disposable launchers. Vary diameter of
round, generation of manufacture, or purpose and that is out the window.
4) Reusable weapons tend to have more variety of rounds.
5) Reusable weapons can have greater range.
6) We aren't talking about a GMS - these are unguided rounds.

So, here are my suggestions:

First, we need a name/description for our weapon. Infantry Anti Vehicle
Rocket is IAVR. It probably includes all forms of poorly (from the
perspective of 2183 mind you!) sighted, cheap, disposable anti-armour or
anti-infantry system. It probably (being 2183) has a warhead that is
either
multirole or can be configured for either role (anti-infantry,
anti-armour,
bunker-busting). It probably doesn't feature incendiary/WP, illum,
smoke, or
some of the more interesting possible types of rounds. It probably
requires
a different system or at least a different round to be capable of
anti-air
fire.

(Note: One could argue the name suggests this is not a multi purpose
round,
but is antivehicular in nature and only peripherally useful versus
infantry.
I believe it has D8 impact against infantry (dipersed targets) but I
don't
have my rulebook handy. If this is the case, their ought to be an IAPR
which
is anti-personel in nature and less deadly (or not at all) verus
vehicles
but better vs. infantry. But, for the sake of simplicity, I'd assume the
IAVR is the multi-role solution.)

Our system, by comparison, will be something which perhaps fills the
following niches:
1) a wee bit larger (more punch) perhaps
2) capable of firing further
3) capable of deploying more varied ammunition types

So, we've seen from what Oerjan sent us that the IAVR of today can reach
about 400m in most cases. It seems, based on the fact we use quality
bands
for an IAVR, that the IAVR of 2183 can reach up to 600m in the hands of
crack unit. (Elite range bands!)

So, we need a name and acronym for our new system, regardless of whether
it
is a Panzerfaust 3 like system or a RR like the Carl Gustav. How about
RAW?
Reusable Assault Weapon. This captures the fact that it is a reusable
system, the fact that it can fire a variety of ammo (rather than being
anti-armour specific) and I think (other than Rocket Assisted Weapon)
this
acronym isn't likely overused or confusing.

So, our RAW then needs some characteristics:
1) More punch. I'd be leary of giving it class 2 damage. 2xD12* makes it
GMS/L and that is too big I think. I myself have mentioned I favour 2D8*
but
purists may prefer to leave it at D12* or actually take the step to
2D12*.
This will give infantry more anti-armour punch. This presumes an anti
armour
round.
2) More range. I'd say use 150% of standard range bands. This puts max
range
for an elite unit around 900m. But for a regular unit, it's 600m. This
is
probalby fine.
3) More ammunition types
Anti-Armour	D12*, 2D12* or 2D8* impact
Illum		Illuminate ?" radius (suggestion? I have no idea)
WP/Incendiary	D8 Impact vs. vehicle, D12* vs infantry, starts fires
Anti-Infantry	Strikes like AP light mortar (3" burst, D12 attack)
Smoke		Like light mortar smoke

Here's a question then:
How do you (in the SG2 rules if someone figures it is covered there, or
elsewhere otherwise) handle direct fire artillery used versus infantry
targets or another point target like a place on the ground? How do you
handle deviation? It shouldn't be nearly as bad as off-board fire
(should
it?). How do you handle direct engagement of infantry with a howitzer
for
example? <Firing over open sights.... sometimes necessary!>

Comments?

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Prev: [OOP!] Next: Re: [HIST] classical matchups