Prev: [OT] RE: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse Next: RE: [ds2, sg2] robotic aliens... [x-post]

Wombat Rampage (was something else altogether).

From: "Brendan Pratt" <bastard@o...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:45:23 +1100
Subject: Wombat Rampage (was something else altogether).

> > Got to see one of those Crocodile Hunter shows (is this guy for
real?)
> over
> > the weekend.

Nope this loser is one of the pet hates of anyone who hgas any
experience
with the real Australia - his sensationalised shows use drugged animals
and
stage managed "stunts" to make such annoying viewing - don't give him
any
real credibility

  They were relocating a wombat to better quarters.  That
> little
> > guy was mean.  At little slow, but mean.

Wombats are strong little dudes and can be irritable when mating season
comes around or if some wannabe with a camera crew tries to drag them
out of
their burrows - one of my staff was fishing near Canberra last week and
had
a run in with a wombat which growed and mock charged him several times
until
he had the good sense to leave to little guy to his search for a mate.

 > No idea what show you're talking about, but odds are he is for real.
>
> Wombats have really ferocious digging claws, but are usually quite
> peaceable. They bond very well - over well - with humans, and there's
> at least one school for wombats that I know of that any that have
spent
> time amongst people are sent to in order to learn how to be wombats
> again, before release to the wild.

> They *do* like playing Bulldozers and bumping you in the ankles to
> knock you over, from all accounts.

As would any other wild animal disturbed in their natural habitat -
there
have been several deaths attributed to wombats caused by people craling
into
their burrows and getting crushed by a wombat forcing them against the
roof
of the burrow.

Brendan

Prev: [OT] RE: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse Next: RE: [ds2, sg2] robotic aliens... [x-post]