Prev: Re: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse - LLAR Next: Re: DSII Vehicle creation page

RE: [ds2, sg2] robotic aliens... [x-post]

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:00:06 -0500
Subject: RE: [ds2, sg2] robotic aliens... [x-post]

I am sure that some of this has been discussed previously, but it is
worth
bringing up again.

One way is to have a simple flow chart of list of priorities for each
unit.
Different units may have different Priorities assigned BEFORE the game
starts. In SG2 a unit's priorities may be changed by a successful
communications action from command. In DS2, it could be changed each
turn,
but marked at the start of the turn.

I would suggest a short list for each unit. A typical example of a
combat
unit would be
Goal Priorities:
  Primary: Secure location 42x76
  Secondary: Clear enemy units within 36mu of primary goal
  Tertiary: Hold road 398
Survival Priority: 2

Survival Priority is rated 1-3 (1 high, 3 low).
It shifts the Quality Die Type when the unit makes Confidence
Checks or Reaction Tests. SP1 shifts the quality die up 1,
SP2 shifts the quality die up 2, and SP3 shifts the die type
up 3. It also indicates if a unit will make use of surrounding
cover (SP1 units do not unless under a suppression marker
at the beginning of a turn). A SP3 unit will remove 1
suppression counter at the END of its turn (it has a low survival
priority, so is less concerned with taking casualties). SP1 and
2 units remove suppression markers as normal. In DS2, SP3
infantry units do not receive 'under fire' markers unless an
element of the unit is damaged (like vehicles) and do not
use the terrain for protection unless they start the turn with
an 'under fire' marker. SP3 units' confidence never falls
below Shaken.

In SG2, detached elements may have Priorities set at time of
detachment. I.e. a communications detachment would be provided
a different set of priorities than the main unit.

A sniper might have a Priority List of:
Goal Priorities:
  Primary: Target unit X
  Secondary: Remain Undetected
  Tertiary: Return to unit Q if detected
Survival Priority: 1

A command unit might have a Priority list of:
Goal Priorities:
  Primary: Provide Priorities to units
  Secondary: Reactivate Units to accomplish task
  Tertiary: Coordinate Resources (artillery, etc.)
Survival Priority: 1

Most robotic infantry units may be assumed to be
Power Armor. Robotic Infantry Units that start at SP3
are usually expendable, so are treated as normal
units (rely on numbers rather than armor).

Robotic units usually start a battle at:
Confidence Level: CO
Motivation: High
Fatigue Level: Fresh
Although specific scenarios may provide for a different set
of levels. Example: A forward robotic unit is running low on
power, so it starts as Tired or Exhausted. The attack is a
feint, so motivation is Medium. The Dalaks know that
Dr. Who is advising the other side, so Confidence is
Steady.

Robotic units are usually not effected by terror attacks
(including biochem and nuclear). Robotic Units'
confidence never falls below Broken (SP3 units'
confidence never falls below Shaken).

The quality of the robotic units may vary based on
what the unit was designed to do, experience (if the
units have learning capability), knowledge of the
opponent, etc. I would suggest that units that
start at SP3, be no better than Regular (perhaps
should be Green); these units are expendable, so
quality is not a high priority in design.

I would also suggest seeing Beth's Dalak rules at
http://members.nbci.com/gzg_l/xeno/daleks.html

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net