Prev: Re: [Fwd: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE] (fwd) Next: Re: [OT] Deluxe OGRE

Thoughts on Veldtgrunt-- SG2 Zulu Wars

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:42:41 -0600
Subject: Thoughts on Veldtgrunt-- SG2 Zulu Wars

I'm looking at this from a Zulu Wars perspective, but it could also
relate to any high tech vs. low tech SG2 game.

The timescale in SG2 is 1-5 minutes per turn.  The British should be
able to shoot horrible numbers of Zulus charging across the open in
that time-- yet vanilla SG2 rules dictate on average:

quality  firepower  armor  casualities
  d8   +    d12   /  d4  =    5 max

This number seems too low for 1-5 minutes of twelve men firing up to 6
rounds a minute.  How should I reconcile it?

1) Special rules for mass charges in the open: Extra Firepower

What I'm currently leaning toward-- you'll only get these horrendous
casualties when the Zulu charge the British across open ground.  What
I'm thinking is something like when firing into a massed opponent in
open ground, multiply your impact die by four.	This would give you up
to, on avg, 8 + 40 = 48 / 4 = 12 possible casualties.

2) Special rules for mass charges in the open: All combat move is a
Charge.

Alternately, force the Zulu to start their actual CC charge as soon as
they hit the open.  At the end of any double move, target unit may
fire at the incoming Zulu.

3) Lower armor.

What if you said Zulu had d2 armor?  For the Zulu, all wounded will
count as kills for gameplay, so this might work.

4) Zulu figure scale.

The easiest way would probably be to say each Zulu figure *actually*
represents several Zulu-- say 4.  Also requires you to have fewer
figures.  However, I prefer 1-1 scale.

Any thoughts?

(After writing this, I think maybe option 3 is the best.)

Prev: Re: [Fwd: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE] (fwd) Next: Re: [OT] Deluxe OGRE