Prev: Re: Inhumane Weapons Next: Re: [DS2] Close Assault question and other questions

Re: [SG/DS] dice-a-licious: was rolling more or less dice for SG2 vehicles/weapons/armour

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:03:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] dice-a-licious: was rolling more or less dice for SG2 vehicles/weapons/armour

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:04:20 -0600, Andy Cowell <andy@cowell.org> wrote:

>Also, just wanted to weigh in that in general, I prefer XdY to
>dY * X.  We already do XdY for combat movement, where it comes
>up the most.

I have to say that I don't care for XdY for combat moves. I prefer dY *
2.
Instead of a bell curve, you get a linear probability.

The result is 1/3 of the time doing worse, 1/6 doing as well, and 1/2 of
the
time doing better than regular movement for 6" movement.

If you do 2d6 instead, you end up with 10/36 doing worse, 5/36 doing the
same,
and 21/36 doing better. That's not radically different, but the standard
deviation is very different.

I happen to prefer the d6 x 2" method myself. On the other hand, the
neat
thing about Stargrunt (and all the GZG games for that matter) is how
easy they
are to modify.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: Inhumane Weapons Next: Re: [DS2] Close Assault question and other questions