Prev: Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs Next: [OT] Rememberance Day thought

Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:19:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs

> > I propose to make the accuracy of placing the aiming point of teh >
> > SML depend on the range as follows:
> >
> > The part that bothers me about this is that, in the accepted scale,
> > you're talking about 1000's of km of deviation and no particular
> > physical reason (wind, current) for it.
>
> In the PSB explanation at the end of my message, I tried to give a
> reasoning for the scattering, namely the natural accumulation of
random
> errors in the aiming/boost process of the missiles.

But they don't apply any more to "SMR Boost + accumulated ship velocity"
than they do to "SMR boost alone".

> > And if you're maneuvering at high speeds, presumably he is too-in
> > which case a missile strike like this is very much a gamble, in
> > cinematic at least.
>
> Well, I was looking primarily at vector.

In which case, if you're going that fast, you're going to end up in his
lap
this turn or next turn anyway.	"Turn Left 3" doesn't let you swoop off
the
side edge of the universe in Vector the way it does in Cinematic.

>But, yes, the point was to
> make extra-long-range missile strikes very much a gamble.

Sensor rules would perhaps be a better method.	There's nothing like
discovering that 5 racks worth of SM's just homed on a Frigate (or more
accurately, 1 rack homed on the frigate, 4 racks homed on the resulting
plasma).  This can happen even when you know what you're shooting at--if
you're shooting at bogies, why bother to shoot?

Prev: Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs Next: [OT] Rememberance Day thought