Prev: Re: The Day the Universe Changed... Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 06:41:31 +0100
Subject: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

Peter Mancini wrote:

>In the demos I've seen, long-rod penetrators don't make much of a
>fuss when they hit the ground. Nowhere near as much as a 120mm >HE
shell, anyway :-/
> -------------------------
>
>In a demo I saw of a hyper-velocity Kinetic penetrator, the weapon
>managed  to go ping-ping through the turret of an old M-48 leaving a
>nice clean hole on one side and a somewhat larger hole on the other
>side.	I was told the shockwave that went through the tank was enough
>to kill the crew and do other nasty stuff.

It will indeed (and if it was a DU penetrator they'll get fried as
well). So if you shoot *through* the ground and hit infantry on the
other side, they probably won't like it much <g>

The shock wave caused by the round isn't nearly as nasty in free space
as inside a penetrated tank, though.

>If high velocity rounds act like most rifled rounds then typically
what
>happens is they will enter the ground and deflect downwards.  Great if
>you are up against the Mole Men of Mars.  ;-)

No, no, no - it's the Moonmen that are subterranean. The Martians fly,
they don't burrow... <G>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: The Day the Universe Changed... Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles