Prev: Re: [FMA] FAQ Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

RE: RE: [FT] Salvo Missile Range + Plasma Bolt question

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:23:50 -0600
Subject: RE: RE: [FT] Salvo Missile Range + Plasma Bolt question

> I have a solution for missiles and plasma bolts. If we take the
> vector movement system
> everything has enercia. Well it should anyrate :) So why not add
> the LAST turn's velocity to
> the missiles? If you ship is traveling 18" then the missiles go
> and extra 18" in the direction of
> the velocity of the ship that's firing them. Messure out hte
> velocity and then use that as the
> starting point of the missile fire point.

Why not?  Well because it changes the balance of the whole game :)

With current rules, Salvo Missile armed ships have to close within 30"
(24"
range plus 6" attack radius) and survive a round of fire before they can
fire their missiles.  Smaller ships may not survive to fire their SMs
and
larger ships may loose their SMs to threshold checks.

With those proposed rules, the range of the SMs are increase by the
ships
velocity so per your example, normal SMs can now hit targets up to 48"
away,
so they can fire off their SMs before any damage is taken, and then plot
movement so as to get out of harms way.

As a result, Salvo Missiles are now very powerful first strike weapons
and
fleets of small ships with high thrust and SMRs will rule the
spacelanes.
This would throw the point system out of whack and require changes in
the
whole game.

The fixed range from the ship's initial location is not the most
realistic
but it works.  If inertia is added to SMs, then we better add it to
fighter
movement and fighter launches, and additional problems will then show
up.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: Re: [FMA] FAQ Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles