Prev: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions Next: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions

RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

From: "Jay Arnold" <jdarnold@s...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:44:11 -0600
Subject: RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

Not to be pedantic, but in general terms, M249's, L3's, Brens, Stoners,
RPK's, etc. are considered SAW's while M60's, MG3's are considered
GPMG's or
General Purpose Machine Guns. SAW's use assault rifle rounds (5.56 NATO,
7.62x39 WarPac), while GPMG's use heavier battle rifle rounds (7.62x52
NATO).
The term "Squad Automatic" can be confusing because M-60's can be found
in
squad sized-elements. Unfortunately, the weight of weapon and ammo
usually
means 2-3 men are needed to effectively employ one weapon system. With a
true SAW, only one man is necessary to carry weapon, ammo, extraneous
gadgets necessary.
Just a minor point of clarification.
In game terms, I think a SAW and GPMG would most likely have the same
support die for firepower (say a d8) while a SAW would be greatly
reduced in
impact from its GPMG cousin (see M249 vs. M259, same basic weapon,
scaled
differently for 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO, respectively), say, d8 for the
SAW
vs. d12 for the GPMG. Merely a thought.

Jay