Prev: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: re: [DSII]: Anyone SST bug stats for Tankers and Plasmas?

RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:22:12 -0500
Subject: RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

<shogakusha@geotec.net>
> wrote:

[snip]
> >Assuming that a
> >RFAC is really rapid fire, why would it have a d8 vs dispersed, same
for
> the
> >GAC?
>
> Because it's rapid fire compared to, say, a 120mm anti-tank vehicle.
And
> it
> has a more limited ammunition supply. A vehicle wouldn't chew through
as
> many
> rounds firing at a single enemy squad as a SAW might. It's an
abstraction
> but
> I think it makes sense. Of course, I could be wrong!

[Bri] From the description in DS2, I took a RFAC to be a 20-30mm
autocannon.

> >Why wouldn't a HVC load anti infantry rounds?
>
> And fire with a burst radius as per artillery? Good question.
Because...
> the
> rules don't mention it? You could use this as a scenario based rule,
or a
> house rule.

[Bri] HVCs are just what their name implies. A high velocity anti-tank
round
that relies on kinetic energy as much as explosives to inflict damage.
It
was the precursor of the HKP. It should work well against emplacements.

> >Why would a MDC be a bad
> >anti infantry weapon? If the shell is of any size at all, the kinetic
> energy
> >released upon impact of the ground near an infantry squad is going to
be
> big
> >enough to blow them so far in the afterlife they'd just be scratching
> their
> >asses and wondering what happened.
>
> Well, Jon hasn't exactly listed the kinetic energy of the weapons. For
all
> we
> know, the way he envisioned the weapon gave them a very tiny mass. Or,
> put
> it another way, "because the rules say so"?

[Bri] DS2 states "All MDCs are very small calibre weapons with a very
high
rate of fire, using solid slugs propelled at incredibly high
velocities."
(p.8)  What is "very small calibre"? You may apply whatever PSB you
like.
They may throw slivers no larger than a needle, using the kinetic energy
focused on an extremely small point to penetrate armor. Or they could be
50
calibre rounds fired at many times the speed of sound. Perhaps even
larger
(but then you run into the problem of ammo storage, as it also states
that
they have a "very high rate of fire"). I would imagine that the Higher
class
size is due not to a larger projectile, but to increased velocity and
faster
rate of fire (i.e. more powerful/quicker cycling magnetic projector).

> Allan Goodall 		 awg@sympatico.ca
> Goodall's Grotto:  http://www.vex.net/~agoodall
-------End Original Message------------

My comments above marked with [Bri]

DS2 has all weapons, except HKP (no effect) and DFFG (increased effect),
as
having the same effect (chit validity) on infantry, after weapon size is
figured. This is probably due, as much as anything, to the Heavy Weapons
(Class-1 and above) not being as agile as SAWs and other
infantry-specific
weapons. I.e. the targets are scattering faster than can be targeted
(effectively) by the Heavy Weapons.

Disclaimer: As you can see from my comments, I play more DS2 than SG2.
So
weight all of my comments appropriately.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/sg2/
-----

Prev: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: re: [DSII]: Anyone SST bug stats for Tankers and Plasmas?