Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC SDN, SDN/X Stats Next: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:04:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

Hi Beth,

I've heard that, if the weather is right and the need is there (and if
people you don't want to hurt aren't too close), you can drop a huge
FAE and use the overpressure to generate a clear zone.	But I don't
think they use the procedure on a regular basis, because the bang can
be really big and hard to predict, and the conditions have to be just
right for it to work well (for example, FAEs are very sensitive to wind
conditions.)

As for airburst shells -- I suppose it depends on what the payload
of the shells are, if anything.  I don't think conventional HE,
airburst, would do much unless the mines were pretty sensitive.

JGH

Beth Fulton wrote:

> G'day guys,
>
> I read an article in New Scientist recently about a proposed mine type
that
> rearranges itself so it can't be cleared. This set me to wondering
about
> whether you could use an air-burst to clear minefields. Is it
plausible?
> The Daleks have taken to using mines laid by ortillery as a means of
> slowing their opponents down so I was wondering if this was actually a
> plausible way for my opponents to clear the minefields (which means
I'll

--
*** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan ***
"Don't give up on your faith;  love comes to those who believe it.

Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC SDN, SDN/X Stats Next: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering