Prev: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering Next: Mines

RE: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:42:47 -0500
Subject: RE: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

------------End Original Message-----------

EMP also sounds like a dangerous proposition on the future battlefield
unless all of your equipment is EMP hardened. This would make the
Personal
Battle System each soldier carries (comm gear, GPS, computer link to
command, multi-spectrum sensors, targeting link to weapon, etc.) quite
heavy
and/or expensive. OR inexpensive/light weight EMP protection will make
the
clearing method ineffective.

As for the minefield being self-painting... Yes and no. I would think
that
the minefield would be set to communicate with micro burst, channel
hopping,
low power communication and would only bother to communication if its
sensors detected certain conditions (EMP, pressure wave, IR signature,
etc.)
or at long intervals (8 hours).
Also, don't forget that mine fields are meant to delay or channel the
enemy.
So if the "buzzing" of a minefield would slow the enemy (so that they
clear
the minefield) or encourage them to take a different route, then the
minefield has done its job. Also, you could then place "fake" minefields
much cheaper that mimics the radio traffic of the real minefields. Or
better
yet, mix fake mines and real mines to increase the area of the minefield
cheaply and keep the enemy guessing as to how strong is a particular
minefield.

---
Brian Bell
http://www.ftsr.org/

	The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: `One who puts on his
armor
should not boast like one who takes it off.'"
      -- I Kings:20
---

Prev: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering Next: Mines