Prev: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering Next: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

From: "Joseph Arnold" <jdarnold@s...>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 17:43:46 -0600
Subject: Re: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering

It depends on the type of clearing you want to do. I'd assume in the
realms
of "a game" you'd want the standard field and situation expedient
methods of
"clearing" minefields which in reality is only clearing a path through
the
field. MICLC systems do the trick quite nicely, as do plows (less
reliable)
as well as rollers and flails (even less reliable). It would make sense
that
either an air-burst, thermobaric (fuel-air explosive) or cluster bomb
would
be able to make a field expedient path through the minefield. IIRC, the
above senarios are not currently suported by the DS/SG rules. A basic
modification to existing DFO or tube/rocket artillery/ortillery rules
should
do the trick.

As for the mines mentioned in the article, I'd bet they're discussing a
type
of mine that physically moves itself every so often to attempt to thwart
more persistent forms of mine clearance. I did some writing on these
types
of mine clearing when I was with SFOR in Bosnia. Highly effective, but
exceptionally slow way to clear mines (men on all fours searching for
them
with fiberglass rods).

Do you have a URL for this article, or was it hard copy?
Jay

----------
>From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
>To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
>Subject: [DS] Minefield clearing pondering
>Date: Thu, Nov 2, 2000, 4:18 PM
>

> G'day guys,
>
> I read an article in New Scientist recently about a proposed mine type
that
> rearranges itself so it can't be cleared. This set me to wondering
about
> whether you could use an air-burst to clear minefields. Is it
plausible?
> The Daleks have taken to using mines laid by ortillery as a means of
> slowing their opponents down so I was wondering if this was actually a
> plausible way for my opponents to clear the minefields (which means
I'll

----

----