Prev: Re: RE: New Pod armaments (Boarding Pods) Next: RE: New Pod armaments (Boarding Pods)

Re: [OT] Selling Figs, old games stuff, etc.

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:01:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Selling Figs, old games stuff, etc.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:02:44 -0500, "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
wrote:

>I have considered:
>1) posts to the list (but it might be commercial and therefore
inappropos)
>2) posts at a local hobby store
>3) posts on the web (ie put up some pics and a list and see what
happens)
>4) on-line actions like E-bay (but I'm ignorant of how this works or
how
>successful it might be)

I have some stuff I've considered selling, like old Rogue Trader GW
stuff. I'd
probably go through eBay, though I've heard that Bartertown is the
bigger GW
enclave. However, the problem with eBay is that you need a reputation.
You'll
get a higher price if you aren't a new eBay user, if your rating is over
10 or
so. You get this rating from buying and selling. This seems to be
particularly
important with GW stuff, as a lot of people selling GW are younger, less
responsible kids.

The trick with eBay and other such auction places is that they are
starting to
get really saturated. It's harder for your stuff to stand out.

That being said, the auction places will get you the most people seeing
them
and there are people who are constantly looking there.

Posting on rec.games.miniatures.misc (there is no marketplace newsgroup
in the
rec.games.miniatures hierarchy, an oversight) wouldn't be bad, but make
sure
you have a web site with pictures. Pics are a necessity. You'll get more
money
in an auction, too, if you have pictures.

You could try posting here. I'm interested in microarmour, depending on
what
it is and the quality.

I doubt a store will really get you much. This is a niche market. There
may be
only a couple of hundred people who go to a local store, maybe 10% of
those
who would pay you anything close to what you'd want for the stuff, and
maybe
only 10% of those who want the stuff right now, and that's all very
optimistic. In an auction, there's more immediacy, more "buy it or lose
it". I
did sell a lot of Magic cards in a local store, on consignment, but
Magic
cards lend themselves more to buying bits and pieces. The local
miniatures
store in Toronto has a lot of figures that haven't moved in months. Your
area
may be different, but stores are usually not a great way to go.

On the othr hand, put them in a store and see. You can always leave them
at
the store for now, and if they don't sell you can pull them and try to
sell
them online.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: RE: New Pod armaments (Boarding Pods) Next: RE: New Pod armaments (Boarding Pods)