Prev: Re: [GZG-WCC] Human vs Kra'Vak Next: [FMA] Call of Cuthulu

RE: [SG] 15mm Infantry [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@e...>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:49:25 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG] 15mm Infantry [CLEAN STAMP]

Hiya,

It depends on how close to "true" 15mm you want to be. I've been looking
around for 15mm scifi figures for about a year now, and I've found that
there are two different types of 15mm scales for science-fiction, one of
which is noticeably larger than the other. In most cases, the older the
figure is, the smaller it will be, while the more recent figures are
somewhere in between 15mm and 20mm scale. Unfortunately, the difference
is big enough that you can really see the size gap between them when
they stand next to each other on the table. I don't know where GZG's
15mm
scale figures fit in this range. I'll be ordering some from England
soon.
--------------------------------------
"True" 15mm scale figures (smaller):

Freikorps 15 colonial marines & aliens
I got a bunch of these from Outland Games in Ohio, and the figures
aren't
really well sculpted -- they're chunky, and the human figures are
somewhat
misshapen. They remind me of historical figures from the 1980s.

Tabletop Miniatures
They're in Nottingham, I think, and the ownership recently changed.
Cool figures, if you like the "science-fantasy" look.

Old Grenadier 15mm Traveller miniatures
OOP, and hard to find -- one of the holy grails of 15mm scifi figures.
--------------------------------------
"Large" 18mm? scale figures (larger):

Alternative Armies
I got a sample pack in the mail from Lon Weiss at Brigade Games, and I'm
going to order some soon. They're definitely "science-fantasy" figures.

Old Heavy Gear infantry
OOP, and getting harder to find. I scrounged around a lot of conventions
& game stores last summer looking for these, and found some good deals.
These are the figures that I use for most of my StarGrunt games, but
unfortunately there isn't very much variation in the figure line.

Tactical Command Games
This is a small, relatively new company in Iowa that has been selling
scifi minis rules & 15mm figures this past year, and I picked up about
50 of them last summer because they're the same size as the old Heavy
Gear infantry figures. I wouldn't recommend them, however -- the faces
& human proportions are very poorly sculpted, and the uniforms make
them look like WWII soldiers with shoulder pads and kneepads.

-- Rick Rutherford