Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] harmonizing vehicle construction Next: Re: FB2 errata - I found another

Re: [FT] Armour (long)(was Re:Armor)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:45:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Armour (long)(was Re:Armor)

Charles Stanley Taylor wrote:

>>I agree it should be relatively massive--IMHO we'd want to set it up
to >>be possibly cost effective for large ships, but definitely not for
small >>ships.

>Hmm... could use the same trick they use for screens - set a minimum
>MASS - much harder to justify though!

Not very. Assuming a roughly similar shape for all ships regardless of
size, the Mass of the armour will realistically be proportional to
(ship's volume)^(2/3). Plot that function out vs the ship's volume, and
then figure out how to best approximate that with a straight line...
and check where that straight line intersects the armour mass axis. It
won't be in origo unless your approximation is way off :-)

Replacing the volume with TMF isn't entirely accurate since not all
components have the same density, but it's the best we can do without
introducing a new variable in the design system :-/

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] harmonizing vehicle construction Next: Re: FB2 errata - I found another