Prev: Re: [FT, DS, SG] Gallery updated Next: Re: OT: Mage Knight Rebellion

Re: [FH] Balance of Power

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:44:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [FH] Balance of Power

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>

> All this talk of population has reminded me of something I've been
meaning
> to ask for ages. Is there work on going to do with the history of the
PAU?
> I'd love to hear how's going (beyond what's already up on the
GZGpedia).
> The reason I ask is that even by the 2050s the real countries that
make up
> the PAU will have as many people and resources as the entire lands of
the
> NAC (i.e. about 2 billion) and will be second only to the ESU (with
5.5
> billion) for potential. Even if you split the African nations based on
> religion (with some going over to the IF) they're still a BIG force.

You know, Beth, I don't mind Schoon reading my mind, but this is getting
excessive.

Dateline: New Gombe City, Gombe Province, Lagos System, PAU--In voting
over the past three days, the Islamic Unity Party claimed a victory as
an overwhelming majority of the population of Gombe and Zamfara voted to
secede from the Ibo-dominated central planetary government.  Despite
claims by some observers of intimidation at the polls by troops of the
militant Nasrallah arm of the IUP, the UN has accepted the referendum
results as valid.  IU Party Secretary Ibrahim Abdoulaye praised the UN
decision, saying, "At last the history of oppression is over, and the
principle of self determination is vindicated.	Henceforth the Hausa
people of Gombe and Zamfara will be able to work and worship peacefully
according to our own tradition and beliefs.  It is our hope that Mr.
Ogwuma's government will acknowledge the righteousness of our position
and accept the people's will without further provocation and violence."
Jakob Ogwuma, Chairman of the Lagos Central Committee, had no immediate
response.

Islamic Federation Emir Farouq Imad-ed-Din Sharif, speaking from the
battleship Asad al Islam in orbit at New Egypt, said "We recognize the
essential unity of all Muslims and we look forward to establishing
cordial relations with the independent Hausa state.  We will sponsor a
resolution in the UN to formally and immediately admit the new nation to
membership, and we warn the PAU that further efforts to deny our
brothers their civil and religious freedom will  result in the direst
consequences."

Reports of a clash between IF and PAU naval forces in the Lagos system
are as yet unconfirmed.

Prev: Re: [FT, DS, SG] Gallery updated Next: Re: OT: Mage Knight Rebellion