Prev: Re: Population modelling and relativity Next: Re: [FT, DS, SG] Gallery updated

Re: Population modelling and relativity

From: Jonathan White <Jonw@n...>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:35:55 +0100
Subject: Re: Population modelling and relativity

Chris DeBoe wrote:
> > Here is a weird question:
> > How would stars, with different relative motion, effect generation
time
> > relative to Earth?	Would some worlds have time pass faster or
slower and
> > would the differences be enough to matter?
> Earth's grav field retards our time by some real but unnoticeable
amount.
> But can you feel the gravity from Rigel Kent?  No.
There is an interesting similar question though - does a world with
higher gravity have 'time' run slower - I believe the idea that 'rate of
change of time' is affected by gravity is suggested by relativity,
although don't ask me to explain it because its literally decades since
I did any serious physics :).

If you want a somewhat less serious reference, go find (I think) book 3
of the classic 2000AD series 'The Ballad of Halo Jones'. Quite an
interesting story based around the idea of a war on a planet where high
gravity slows everything down tremendously, and the logistic and
psychological problems that would cause.

							TTFN
								Jon

--
"In a tribe of chimpanzees I was a monkey..."
Jonathan White, COS group, Manchester University

Prev: Re: Population modelling and relativity Next: Re: [FT, DS, SG] Gallery updated