Prev: Re: OT: Mage Knight Rebellion Next: RE: Mage Knight Rebellion [CLEAN STAMP]

RE: Mage Knight Rebellion [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@e...>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:58:48 -0400
Subject: RE: Mage Knight Rebellion [CLEAN STAMP]

Hiya,

I played a demo game at GenCon, and frankly I thought the game was
really dull, and poorly thought out. Basically, you move your figures
forward until you contact your opponent's figures, and then you roll
dice against each other until one of you wins.

The fact that the combat stats are printed on a little wheel in the
base of the figure seemed like a neat idea at first -- you pick up
the figure and adjust the wheel every time it takes a point of damage.
If you have a big fight with lots of figures, however, you will have
to pick up every single one of them, every time they take a hit.
This is tedious, and can cause the kinds of arguments that I try very
hard to avoid ("Your figure was touching that one!" "No it wasn't!"
"Yes it was!" ... ).

The game may succeed in the short term, because they're marketing
their figures as "limited-edition collectibles," (like it or not,
it works...) but I doubt it will last more than a year or two.
(IMHO, of course.)

-- Rick Rutherford