Prev: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: Time Scale for Maping the Sol System...

Re: HH missiles

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:55:50 +0100
Subject: Re: HH missiles

Looks OK overall. Some questions, though:

bif smith wrote:

>My ideas/ramblings for missiles for HH ships runs along the same lines
>as AEB`s idea for MT missiles, except, because of their greater
>flexabilities, they are fired from internal launchers like SML`s to
>prevent massed swamping effect (and increase the cost of each
>missile). My launcher would have a mass of 4, and a cost of 13,

Why 13, rather than the standard 3xMass = 12? That's less than 1%
difference for the ship (assuming you buy some missiles to go with the
launcher <g>), which is much too low to detect even in intense
playtests... KISS; make it cost 3xMass like all other human-tech
weapons :-/

>with one arc fire.

Means the HH ships can't have broadside-mounted missile launchers?

>The missiles would mass 3 each, with a cost of 9.
>Movement the same as AEB`s (i.e.-as mini fighters), with the two turn
>endurance, each turn endurance being able to be exchanged for a turn
>of secondary move. When using the secondary move, the radius of
>attack for the missile goes down to 4MU.
>They would cause a dammage of 4D6 per missile.
>
>If you are thinking this is high dammage per missile, remember that
>the HH ships are rather BIG

The ratio between the damage of one missile and the Mass of its
*target* is irrelevant for game balance. What is important is the ratio
between the damage of the missile and the Mass (ie., cost) of the
*missile* (including its launcher)... with the above Masses and
requirements for launchers it looks reasonable.

'Course, I still don't understand why you insist on applying the
Tuffleyverse mass scale on a completely different background, but
that's another topic :-/

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: Time Scale for Maping the Sol System...