Prev: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives

Re: Vehicle Recognition

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:28:24 -0700
Subject: Re: Vehicle Recognition

At 05:49 PM 10/12/2000 +0100, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Alan Brain wrote:
>[About the Maltese cross]
>>It's the current marking for armoured vehicles of the Bundeswehr, and
>>has been since the BW was founded.
>
>Karl H. Ranitzsch wrote:
>>The modern (and WW I ) with curved edges is the 'Eiserne Kreuz'
>>('Iron Cross' after the old Prussian medal). The 'Maltese Cross' has
>>nothing to do with Germany
>
>Hm. They seem to contradict one another... I suspect Karl is more
>reliable in this particular case <g>

Karl is correct - the Maltese Cross is not part of the Bundeswehr
markings.
 The Army Technology website has a good pic of a Leopard 2/A5 MBT -
here's
the URL:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/leop1.html

The Bundewehr mark on the side is definitely not a Maltese Cross. :-)

Mark W Shurtleff
    aka "Togashi Gaijin" on the Clan War ML
    aka "Hauptman" on the GZG and Heavy Gear ML
email: hauptman@sfcmd.com     homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com

Prev: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives