Prev: Brian's comments on naming - my (sort of) rebuttal Next: Re: Return of FMA...

Level of the game...

From: Glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:29:09 EDT
Subject: Level of the game...

--- In Stargrunt-Fullthrust@egroups.com, "Glenn Wilson"
<triphibious@j...> wrote:
Have been wondering about an observation I have noticed about many
wargamers.

You can usually get up a gsame fairly easy for games usings
star/space ships (Full Thrust) just as it seems fairly easy to get up
a game for naval battles (board games like "CA" from the old SPI
company) or games where you run ships (Harpoon, WW2 games, even WW1
style games) at clubs and cons.  Ditto for "skirmish" level games
(Stargrunt, Starguard, etc.) but when you get into either micro-armor
equivalents [6mm - 1/285th - 1/300th] (DS2) or 'higher level' games
(where units leave the 1:1 relationship for vehicles or where
infantry 'stands' become units where each figure is not
representative of an individual) it seems harder to build up an
interest.  At least locally.

The local historical group has big interest in WW2 skirmish games at
20/25mm, there is an attempt with 15 & 25 mm ancients skirmish games
(games where the individual figure as opposed to a 'stand' is the
unit of play), and there seems to a small interest in 15mm ACW,
15mm Franco-Prussian, and (due to the undying effort of one
individual) 25mm Nappies.  But this is always one or another, never
at the same time or for an extended time (although the 25mm guy shows
up with good scenarios, all the figures, and the rules/die tables
(house modified over many years) at all the cons he can and always
seems to draw a good group.

What is it that seems to peak our interests in 1:1 skirmish or unit
based (ships, water or space) games more then the slightly abstracted
games?	Or is it just local to my area [or possibly my skewed
perceptions]?  Is it the influence of FRPG's?  The 25mm syndrome?
Easier to identify with 'individuals'?	Is it more in the Historical
sub-group then the Fantasy and Science Fiction sub-groups?  what's
up?

Even the slight abstraction of DS2 (1:1 vehicles but infantry 'fire
teams') seems to have a slight 'damper effect' when individuals who
like SF skirmish games have an opportunity to play.

I cannot make a comparison to 'aircraft' games because THOSE are even
more scarce.

Gracias.
--- End forwarded message ---

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Brian's comments on naming - my (sort of) rebuttal Next: Re: Return of FMA...