Prev: Re: Asymetric ships Next: Re: FT-B5 minis in FT

Re: FT-HH LAC`s

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:53:00 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-HH LAC`s

bif smith wrote:

>I was having a discusion off list with oerjan ohlson about designing
HH
>universe ships for FT, and complaining about the lack of range of FT
>missiles for HH universe ships, if you use limited arc energy weapons
>(i.e.-Cl-3 bats).

The alternative is to make missiles extremely long-ranged, but as Mike
said that pretty much relegates you to PBeMs - it's hard to find a
large enough table.

>Oerjan sugested using phalon pulsers, to represent a short ranged,
>massed battery of limited arc human weapons. This has awoken some
>ideas in my, rather rambling, brain case. I though about allowing
>humans to have a pulser weapon, limited to close range band only,
>with the same PDS as a Cl-1 bat. Making the mass and cost the same >as
a phalon pulser would make this weapon deadly at close range (the >only
range it could be used), and rather expensive compaired to normal
>human weapons.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just give the weapon the same stats as a
Pulser-C...?

>HH LAC
>
>MASS=24    COST=85
>			      MASS    COST
>B.HULL 		---		24
>HULL(W)		 2		 4

Should be HULL(F); otherwise OK. (W) would be around 5 boxes.

>DRIVE T=12	     14 	    28
>NON FTL	      ---	     ---
>F.CONx1		  1		 4
>PULSER(1a)x1[f]      2 	   10
>PDSx1			     1		    3
>SMRx1			    4		 12

>P.S.- I posted some designs for the arachnid ships on the full thrust
>ships registery, and was gently explained where I was going wrong
>compaired to the starfire designs.

Thanks for calling me "gentle" <g>

>In thinking about the ACID class SD, which should have close range,
>high damage, sheild affected weapons, I now prefer using 6 arc
>pulsers instead of plasma torps, which are long ranged, high damage,
>ignore sheilds weapon. This makes them very dangerous at close >range,
which was the idea for these ship originally (I think).

It was indeed. An Acid-class SDN in Starfire is able to destroy any
smaller ship, and most other SDNs as well, with a single salvo - IF it
can get close enough... but that's one big IF :-7

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Asymetric ships Next: Re: FT-B5 minis in FT