Prev: Re: CanAm Questions Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition

RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:59:53 -0400
Subject: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Anglos.
> South and Central America? Quebec? Canada? Mexico? More likely people
will
> be "citizens of the NAC" but have regional names.

[snip]

> How we think of ourselves is not always the way we're seen. Most
Americans
> view themselves differently than most Europeans see them (I believe)
and
> most Canadians believe they have a certain character, whether or not
it is
> so (we want it to be so).

[snip]

> This recalls that old discussion about how military units would be
named
> in
> the Anglian system. I liked some of the suggestions.
>
> Things like:
> The Duke of Windsors Own Hussars
> The Royal Canadian Regiment
> His Majesty's Own Coldstream Gaurds
> The Earl of Lancaster's Loyal Amish Irregulars <okay, this is a wee in
> joke
> for attendees of GZGECC>
>
> and the best suggestion I ever heard <Don't groan!>
>
> The King's Own Memphis Rifles
>
> I think one interesting question regarding peerage is: How many
Dukes',
> Earls, Baronets, etc. are there in the British system today? How many
more
> would likely be created to cover the "New Colonies". I like the idea
of a
> Duke of Windsor. Maybe the governance is still in the hands of the
people,
> but peerages served a purpose in the old days and they might well make
> comeback in a NAC that owns all of North and South America...

> Thomas R. S. Barclay
> Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
> e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com
---------------End Original Message-------------------

You are still displaying Terra-centric thinking!
By 2135 the AC have moved thier main government body off Earth to
Albion.
And there are people who have been born, grew up and died that have
never
seen Earth first-hand. At some point, people will start to stop thinking
of
Earth
nations and start thinking in terms of the planet on which they were
born
(Albion, Hadely's Hope, Kakisa, Merril's World, New Toledo, etc.).
Thier alliances will follow thier idea of home (Far Stars Union, Rim
Worlds
Concordium, Rim Worlds, Confederacy, Alarishi Empire, etc.).

I would have expected most of the GZG nations to follow the lead of the
NAC
and NSL in changing thier names to match the people they represent and
not the geographic location on Earth where they started. The
ESU was the first in expanding to enclude all of the Solar System in
thier
name (perhaps 'Solar' is a bad translation and is more properly
'Stellar').
The LLAR, especially, would find little meaning in 'Latin American
Republics',
other than nursing old wounds, since they have had no holdings on Earth
since 2098. I would have expected a name change to something linke
the 'League of Latino Peoples' or if they still have organized
themselves
into republics on thier colony worlds 'League of Latino Republics' or
some
such name. The FSE is also outdated, unless the definition of 'Europe'
has
expanded. I would have expected them to change to 'Federal
Commonwealth States' or some other derivitive. The PAU could stay the
same, assuming that 'African' refers to lineage rather than geography.
IC is valid for the same reason. IF refres to a belief system rather
than
to a geographic location. The Saeed Khalifate refers to a ruling family,
so is valid. The OU seems a little strange, unless they specifically
seek
out
woulds with large oceans and small contenients. Anyway at this point
I am rambling, but I hope that you get my point.

On the point of peerage, I doubt that there would be any given for the
(former) US territories. I think that it would be throwing gasoline
(petrol) on the fire of the second American Civil War to do so. I would
suspect that the people descended from citizens of the former US would,
at best, tollerate the monarchy (if it were maintained in the NAC),
but would not embrace it. Peerage on colony worlds, however, could be
a way to encourage migration to the primitave living conditions of
new colonies. I.e. the first 100 colonist families would be given
inheritable lands on the new colonies and titles to match (The Duke of
Arabeth, Merril's World). Or perhaps peerage would be given to the
financial sponsors of a colony (Mr. Greene sponsors the transportation
to the colony would of New Toledo and is given a title on the world
(Earl of Laslands, New Toledo).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

Prev: Re: CanAm Questions Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition