Prev: Re: Help for Oerjan Next: Re: Articulation [SG2] and RCMP2185

FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:41:48 -0400
Subject: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

re: discussion of place names and names for the populace.

I doubt all NAC citizens or charges will think of themselves as Anglos.
South and Central America? Quebec? Canada? Mexico? More likely people
will
be "citizens of the NAC" but have regional names.

Quebecois will still be Quebecois and will be still complaining about
being
beaten at the plains of Abraham (second version, during the pacification
of
North America), about being distinct, about needing powers to protect
cultural integrity, etc.

Western farmers will still think the NAC has too much government, as
will
plenty of folks in the US.

Native North and South Americans will still think the Europeans are
invaders
and conquerors.

Etc.

These kind of national rivalries won't go away, but like Quebec's
relations
with Canada, will be softened by economic prosperity and by some
devolution
of power to the local communities.

How we think of ourselves is not always the way we're seen. Most
Americans
view themselves differently than most Europeans see them (I believe) and
most Canadians believe they have a certain character, whether or not it
is
so (we want it to be so).

The description of the FSE in Jon's books (written by an Anglian I
notice)
reflect a cultural predjudice up front. In French, it would be Etats
Federal
Europa (gender?). In Italian, something quite similar sounding I believe
(thanks Karl Heinz!) . I believe most of the languages of these
countries
would end up calling themselves the EFE. FSE is just an anglicism (or is
that Anglianism?) of the correct naming.

This recalls that old discussion about how military units would be named
in
the Anglian system. I liked some of the suggestions.

Things like:
The Duke of Windsors Own Hussars
The Royal Canadian Regiment
His Majesty's Own Coldstream Gaurds
The Earl of Lancaster's Loyal Amish Irregulars <okay, this is a wee in
joke
for attendees of GZGECC>

and the best suggestion I ever heard <Don't groan!>

The King's Own Memphis Rifles

I think one interesting question regarding peerage is: How many Dukes',
Earls, Baronets, etc. are there in the British system today? How many
more
would likely be created to cover the "New Colonies". I like the idea of
Duke of Windsor. Maybe the governance is still in the hands of the
people,
but peerages served a purpose in the old days and they might well make a
comeback in a NAC that owns all of North and South America...

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Prev: Re: Help for Oerjan Next: Re: Articulation [SG2] and RCMP2185