Prev: New site? Next: Re: [Getting Seriously OT here]Molson Beer Ad

Re: Help for Oerjan

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 06:53:45 +0100
Subject: Re: Help for Oerjan

Barclay, Tom wrote:

>I see our good friend Oerjan has the problem of having gamers who've
>seen the US, ex-sov, German, and Swede hardware. Try showing >them
some of the obscure vehicles out of Africa or South America - >some of
them are quite neat looking (as you well know *lol*).

Main problem with those is to get models... I can bash existing kits,
but I'm not up to building stuff from scratch :-(

>Or show them some Canadian vehicles - some of ours are rare >enough
_WE'VE_NEVER_SEEN_THEM. ;)

You mean the various 6x6, 8x8 and 10x10 GM LAVs/MOWAG Piranhas (same
design, different factory) of which the Swedish Army have a hundred or
so (IIRC; could be up to a couple hundred by now)...?

>I think one point to address what Allan said - though we use the M113,
>more use is had form the new 8x8 LAV-style vehicle (can't recall what
>we call it - successor to the 6x6 Grizzly and 6x6 Cougar). Wheeled
>APCs and AFVs are all the rage now. Better mobility and self
>sufficiency I guess versus tracked systems.

Better road mobility at least, less damage to the roads they drive on
(very important for humanitarian and peace-keeping missions), lower
mileage cost... according to a USAR unit in Macedonia, the (wheeled)
Finnish SISU vehicles had better mobility over heavy snow and ice than
the M113s and M2s - the Finns ended up supplying at least one US
outpost since the tracked US vehicles couldn't get there while the
SISUs could :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: New site? Next: Re: [Getting Seriously OT here]Molson Beer Ad