Prev: RE: [SG] boarding action inspiration Next: Re: [SG] boarding action inspiration

RE: [SG] boarding action inspiration

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 07:28:32 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG] boarding action inspiration

At 03:51 PM 10/4/00 +1100, Brendan wrote:
>The last lensmen book (Doc EE Smith) has some boarding actions
(kind-of).

>The only other book I can think of offhand is "Space Marine" published
>through the Evil Empire!
>Memorable quote: "We're going in up it's arse!"

Actually, GW probably has the most accessable boarding actions; think
Space
Hulk if nothing else.

Hmm.

Okay, two ideas.  One is a series of books Anne McCaffrey wrote with
different authors; I only read the first (I wasn't that impressed) but
IIRC
it *did* have a boarding action near the end.  From the cover art, there
may also be something like that on her "Ship who..." books, but I
haven't
read those.

The second idea is David Feintuch's "Hope" series.  I don't think
there's
an actual boarding action, but I do believe there is at least one
mutiny...
hmm, no, there is one attempted boarding action, too, but I don't
remember
how far it gets.

Mutineer's Moon, by David Weber, starts with an on-ship mutiny, but
since
the ship is rather large and the fighting abstract it's probably not
that
useful to you.	It does have a nice way to *stop* the conflict, at least
on
the ship... Weber also put some boarding actions into Path of the Fury,
as
well as the Honor Harrington books (raiding the Masadan moon base comes
immediately to mind).  There may be some in his Starfire books, but
those I
don't remember as well -- there's definitely something at the start of
Crusade, but again I think that was pretty abstract.  Most of Weber's
books
have setups for ground combat, too, though it tends to be situations
where
one side has overwhelming firepower -- of course, that's how you *want*
your ground combats to be set up, assuming you're the side with the
firepower!

Okay, came up with more'n just the two ideas, I hope this helps....

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net