Prev: RE: Pirates and Privateers Next: Re: Pirates and Privateers

Re: Pirates and Privateers

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:41:32 -0400
Subject: Re: Pirates and Privateers

> Brian Bell wrote:
>
> > On a military level, I would guess that most governments have taken
the
> JFK possition with respect to the AE (i.e. an attack fron one memeber
of
the
> AE will be considered an attack by ALL members of the AE).

Noam replied:
> I don't know how true that can be. Some of the smaller AE outpusts are
small
> family groups or even lone (intrepid, insane, fill in the blank)
> adveturers/claimstakers/homesteaders/etc. I would imagine the
particularly
> far flung outpsts are quite vulnerable to true pirates and "plausibly
> deniable" local power antagonism. When Old Zeke way out on some rock
> somewhere stops transmitting and all the AE investigation patrol finds
is
> big glass crater where his dome used to be, what's the emperor going
do?
> What if the antagonist is an entrenched power larger than AE? What if
it's
> roving pirate band?

Noam has the right general idea.  AE policy is:
a. if you're within our systems (Alarish, Huy Braseal, Coronado), the
Empire
will protect you as best it can.  However, space is big and the Navy
can't
be everywhere.	Installation of active defense systems is highly
recommended.  The Navy reserves the right to clear private minefields if
they become a hazard to navigation, though.
b. if you're outside our systems: your defense is totally up to you.  If
you
want escorts or patrol visits, you arrange the contracts for it (payable
in
advance and/or as the insurance policy beneficiary).  If we visit for
reasons other than contract obligations and find your habitat is now a
glass
crater, the Navy will probably investigate and take whatever direct
action
is required, but by that point you're not likely to care.

There are AE sovereignities in non-AE space--including quite a few in
NSL,
New Israeli, OU and NAC systems--but they normally contribute cash to
the
local government in return for protection.  They often also install
whatever
"active defenses" the local government permits (or overlooks).

Prev: RE: Pirates and Privateers Next: Re: Pirates and Privateers