Prev: Re: [FT] various subsystems Next: Re: Stellar Wars Re: UNSC fleet carrier design

Re: [FT] UNSC design

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:11:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC design

Charles Stanley Taylor wrote:

>>>On the subject of spinal mounts, I've been thinking about
extra->>>heavy versions of the Pulse Torpedo (doing 2d6, 3d6 etc.
damage, >>>perhapse longer range brackets)

>>More damage with the same range bands scales as just over 1:1 - >>the
big weapon gains a bit from higher repairability when it goes >>down,
but OTOH it loses a little in flexibility when they start overkilling
>>badly damaged targets. It depends on what you're fighting, really.
>
>Hmmm.. also with the equivalent mass in smaller weapons you have
>_less_  chance of loosing _all_ of your firepower to a threashold
check, >but a _greater_ chance of loosing _some_ firepower - I'm
beginning to >get a headache!

Yep. *On average* - over a large number of battles - the single big and
the many small weapons lose just as much firepower to a threshold
check, but in a single battle the big weapon is more vulnerable to a
few unlucky die rolls. Whether that's a good or a bad thing depends on
whose dice you use for the threshold checks <g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] various subsystems Next: Re: Stellar Wars Re: UNSC fleet carrier design